LivSecureBlog

Carbon Monoxide: Protecting Your Family | LivSecure

Carbon Monoxide: Protecting Your Family

Carbon monoxide (sometimes referred to as “CO”) is an odorless, colorless gasA?thatA?is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood don’t burn fully. It is toxic to humans and pets.A?More than 500 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning.A?Symptoms of CO poisoning include lightheadedness,A?nausea, headaches, fatigue, and flu-like symptoms. Acute CO poisoning leads to the failure of the central nervous system and heart, and eventually to death.

More than halfA?of all carbon monoxide incidents occur within homes, so it’s imperative to know how to protect your family. The good news is, having a working CO detector can alert you to harm and save your life. Here are some additional tips and facts to keep in mind:

The Importance of CO Detectors

Installing a CO detectorA?isA?an easy way of significantly reducing your risk of CO poisoning. Since carbon monoxide cannot beA?noticed without a detector, it is absolutely critical to have one (or preferably several) in your home.

Check the batteries often and replace if needed. A quality system should last for approximately five years. Proper placement of your carbon monoxide detector is also important.A?If you are installing only one carbon monoxide detector, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends it be located near theA?sleeping areas, where it can wake you if you are asleep.

LivSecure’s carbon monoxide detectorA?also serves as a smoke alarm, and is professionally monitored, 24/7. Professionally monitored carbon monoxide and smoke detectors save lives every day. Traditional smoke detectors can only “beep and burn” a?? alerting you to danger only if you’re inside your home. LivSecure monitored detectors, included with eachA?LivSecure plan,A?alert the authorities right away, so help can be dispatched.

Other Ways to Prevent CO Poisoning

Here are additional tips for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning in your home:

  • Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Make sure all gas appliances are vented properly.
  • Do not use portable, flameless chemical heaters indoors.
  • If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator, call a technician immediately. This could indicateA?a potential CO leak.
  • Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year, even with infrequent use. A chimney that is blocked could lead to CO buildup in your home.
  • Never use a generator or gas camping stove indoors.

For more family and personal safety tips, read the LivSecure blog.

 

The LivSecure Home Security Blog

From home security to home automation to personal safety, we’ve got you covered!

Follow Us
Blog Share To Facebook Icon | LivSecure Blog Share To Twitter Icon | LivSecure Blog Share To YouTube Icon | LivSecure Blog Share To Google+ Icon | LivSecure Blog Share To Instagram Icon | LivSecure
Featured Posts
LivSecure Blog Categories
LivSecure Blog Archives