LivSecureBlog

Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Keeping Your Family Safe

Carbon monoxide is almost impossible to detect inside your home because it is an odorless and colorless gas. A carbon monoxide alarm is an essential safety feature in your home to alert you of any toxic gas. LivSecure wants to remind you to be safe and take precautions to prevent carbon monoxide inside your home.

  1. Check For Possible Leaks

Your home uses many different appliances that could potentially leak carbon monoxide inside your home. Any device that uses gas, oil, charcoal, propane, or wood can leak carbon monoxide. It is important to get all appliances inspected at least once a year and continue to keep up routine maintenance. Schedule yearly checks for your appliances including:

  • Automobiles.
  • Boilers.
  • Charcoal and propane grills.
  • Fireplaces.
  • Furnaces.
  • Gas powered lawn mowers.
  • Generators.
  • Ovens and ranges.
  • Space heaters.
  • Water heaters.
  • Wood burning stoves.
  1. Set Up Your CO Alarm Properly

It is essential to place your carbon monoxide detector in a strategic area inside of your home. This is because you want to always have an accurate reading of the carbon monoxide levels inside of your home. Have carbon monoxide alarms on every floor and certainly near the sleeping areas of your home. It is a good idea to keep them near any of the appliances that emit the carbon monoxide gas as well. The ceiling is the best place to keep a detector in a room because the gas travels with hot air that will naturally rise. Try to keep the detector away from windows or drafty areas and not near bathrooms or high humidity areas that could create a false alarm.

  1. Test Your Alarm

If you feel that your carbon monoxide detector may not be working properly than it is important to test it. Your device will come with instructions on how to properly test your specific alarm, but there are also four easy steps that should work universally with carbon monoxide detectors.

  • Press and hold the test button for several seconds. A loud beep will indicate that the detector is working properly.
  • Release the button.
  • Change the batteries if the first test fails.
  • Replace the detector immediately if the battery change does nothing.
  1. Be Aware Of CO Poisoning

It is important to make sure you know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you believe that you or someone in your family is suffering from any of these symptoms, call 911 immediately and evacuate your home as fast as possible. Severe carbon monoxide can lead to death if not treated immediately. Signs include:

  • Confusion and drowsiness.
  • Dizziness.
  • Fast heart beat and chest pain.
  • Headaches.
  • Nausea.
  • Seizures.
  • Vision problems.
  1. Review Safety Plan

the alarm ever sounds, explain to your family that you need to evacuate the home immediately. Do a test run to ensure that your family is prepared in any emergency. If you do believe there is a real carbon monoxide threat, turn off all appliances and contact the fire department. Do not reenter your home until it is approved safe by your local fire department.

LivSecure reminds your family to stay safe and be prepared in case of a carbon monoxide emergency. Contact emergency personnel immediately in case of an outbreak and leave your home as soon as possible.

The LivSecure Home Security Blog

From home security to home automation to personal safety, we’ve got you covered!

Follow Us
Blog Share To Facebook Icon | LivSecure Blog Share To Twitter Icon | LivSecure Blog Share To YouTube Icon | LivSecure Blog Share To Google+ Icon | LivSecure Blog Share To Instagram Icon | LivSecure
Featured Posts
LivSecure Blog Categories
LivSecure Blog Archives